We all have it, but none of us like thinking about it or discussing it. That’s right, I’m talking about pubic hair.
If you just cringed at the word “pubic,” don’t worry — you’re not alone.
Pubic hair makes most of us uncomfortable, but it’s an important part of our body — and it’s there for a very specific reason.
Usually, when we read about pubic hair online or in magazines, it’s about how to remove it, which “styles” are best, and what celebrities do to their own “down there” hair.
But many of us don’t actually know much about pubic hair apart from how to groom it.
If you’ve ever found yourself wondering, “Why are my pubes a different color than the hair on my head?” or “What’s the purpose of pubic hair?” or “How should I groom before going to the gynecologist?” — this article is for you!
Keep reading to find out 14 important facts about your pubic hair!
1. Your Pubes Will Eventually Go Gray
2. Pubic Hair Protects Against Chafing During Sex
3. Pubic Hair Protects Your Body From Infections
Just as pubic hair protects your skin from chafing, it also protects you from potential viruses and bacteria.
Dr. Yazdani explains, “More importantly, it enhances the microflora (healthy, helpful microbes) as it absorbs sweat and moves harmful particles out of the way of entering the vaginal and urethral areas.”
Unfortunately, if you have any small cuts on your skin, it could make you more susceptible to bacteria and infections.
4. Your Gyno Doesn’t Care How You Groom Down There
5. Pubic Hair Regrowth Can Be Painful
6. Hair Removal Is More Painful Around Your Period
According to a study published in the journal Clinics, women have a lower pain threshold during the premenstrual and menstrual phases of the menstrual cycle.
Dr. Singh also explained, “Hair removal is more painful during menses because of increased vascularity.”
This means that it will hurt most to wax, pluck, or shave while you’re PMSing or while you’re on your period.
7. Your Hair Doesn’t Grow In Thicker After Being Shaved
8. Pubic Hair Is Often A Different Color Than The Hair On Our Heads
9. Your Pubic Hair Can Thin Or Bald With Age
10. Having Pubic Is More Hygienic Than Going Bare
11. People With Thick, Curly Hair Are More Prone To Ingrown Hairs